Monday, August 24, 2009

The Cadet


Flikr photo of the Chemical Pioneer by Maritime Texas

He called last evening from the ship, as it was rounding the peninsula of Florida, passing Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. He was near enough to land to use his cell phone. Daddy Senior declined to talk because the reception was not good because of wind noise, so I took notes so I could tell him every word.

"We'll soon be turning right out of the Atlantic into the Gulf of Mexico," he said. I asked if he would have to hang up and help turn the ship, and he laughed, saying that he and the 3rd, who calls him 'Junior' had made battery rounds and he was done.

He'd been to visit family in Philadelphia when the ship docked near there recently, getting off the ship for a short time. He said of the half dozen businesses along the waterfront where they'd docked, 4 were bars and 1 a 'Gentlemen's Club' so he was glad to have somewhere better to go.

Come October, he'll go back to school, a Junior. Time flies, time flies.

No comments: